Pemmican

Share your 18th century recipes and 18th century cooking techniques here. Bon appétit!

Moderator: Rita aka Kiziah

Pemmican

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 am

Found a recipe for pemmican, but darned if I can remember where I found it. Sounds pretty easy:
2 cups raisins
2cups dried cranberries
a hand full or so of nuts
2 cups unflavored beef jerky.
honey

Grind berries, nuts and meat together and pat out in a pan. Add honey gradually till it has the consistency you want. Keep working mixture till completely mixed, then pat out
1 inch thick. Cut into sections.
MichaelB

Re: Pemmican

Postby Bob Miller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Gosh dang ! That sure sounds a lot tastier than the pemmican my friend served up at our camp last June. I took one bite [ reluctantly ] and then spent much time trying to wash the taste out of my mouth :shock: True pemmican, i.e. ground up pulverized meat with dried blueberries and melted fat . If mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with rum, you might choke it down :lol:
Bob Miller
Prolific

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm

LOL! In past years in a state far far away I had some "real old time pemmican" a friend (sic) shamed me into trying. Talk about wanting to wash your mouth out with ivory soap!!! :mrgreen:
MichaelB

Postby marcjoseph » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:21 pm

I tried some a few years back , with the fat and berries, still trying to figure out how the people who ate that backup then,. Didn't die from constant throwing up
marcjoseph

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

maybe they actually called it "barfican" hehe
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 pm

I made a batch of this today, and since I only had an 8 oz package of someone's "original" (and supposedly unflavored) beef jerky, I cut everything back. After grinding up the beef jerky to almost powder in a Ninja processor (a gen-U-wine authentic 18th Century Ninja Food Processor, mind you) I emptied out the bin and put in about a cup each of the dried cranberrys and raisins. Once they got to be a big GLOP in the processor container, I added back the beef jerky and let it rip again, getting everything into a meaty GLOP. I then patted it out in a baking pan and my better half suggested putting it into the oven for a while. She had just taken something out so it was hot, and I said to myself, "Self, go ahead and try it". So into the oven which was at 375 for about 15 minutes. I took it out and then took some crushed up peanuts and patted them on top, sort of pushing them into the stuff.

OK... so what I had once cooled looked a lot like a meat brownie. oh... while patting it out before oven, that's when I added about a tablespoon and a half of honey.

It tastes pretty good for a first attempt. I have absolutely no idea how long this might last before it turns to fuzzy brown and green ick, but I plan to take it to my club's shoot this Saturday. If any of you fine folks happen by the Wilderness Road Muzzleloaders (Whtheville, VA) this Saturday, come by and get a taste. I'll be the guy with the Pepto Dismal in his copper canteen!
MichaelB

Return to Recipes From the Hearth