Building a Cob oven...

Share your 18th century recipes and 18th century cooking techniques here. Bon appétit!

Moderator: Rita aka Kiziah

Building a Cob oven...

Postby gizamo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:12 pm

I am in the process of building a extended outside cooking area. So far, have built a slightly elevated firepit...next to a elevated hearth. I studied the Cob style ovens of Quebec. New France was not far away from where I live. So my plan has been to build the oven on top of a wooden base. And to enclose it above.

There is much in the historical record of this type of oven being used by the French. Am searching for anything related to the District of Mayne, Massachusetts Bay Colony.
gizamo
Prolific

Re: Building a Cob oven...

Postby weaser1760 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Have you seen the Townsen videos on YouTube?
He shows several different Cobb ovens.
weaser1760

Postby gizamo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 am

I have... they are very good on the layout and construction. Also cover the drying and initial firing. Like the videos so much that it seemed practical to buy the entire set. Highly recommend the entire series....
gizamo
Prolific

Postby PAUL C. DAIUTE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Wood fired out door ovens were used all over New England and that includes portable ovens. Excavations at Pemaquid, Maine disclose the remains of portable ovens. There are examples of working outdoor ovens for community use at Plimoth Plantation.
Research independent of purchased information might be a wiser way to go before initiating any projects that might prove to be bogus after completed, just a thought. Venders are out to make a profit, no disrespect intended and this is just a generalization.
Paul
The second amendment is not a Constitutional right but an obligation shared by all Americans!
PAUL C. DAIUTE
Prolific

Return to Recipes From the Hearth