Smoke House in Mass Bay Colony

Share your 18th century recipes and 18th century cooking techniques here. Bon appétit!

Moderator: Rita aka Kiziah

Smoke House in Mass Bay Colony

Postby gizamo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Looking for a records that mention a smokehouse in Mass Bay Colony. Even better if it is in the District of Mayne..

Thanks in advance for any help...

Giz
gizamo
Prolific

Re: Smoke House in Mass Bay Colony

Postby Flint62Smoothie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am

A simple google search of the terms "smokehouse Mass Bay Colony" came back with a few hits you should investigate further ...
All my muzzleloaders shoot into a ragged 1/2" hole ALL DAY LONG! ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd shot that tends to open up my groups ;)
Flint62Smoothie

Postby gizamo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Have spent hours googling similar strings or words. Nothing substantial came back. Lots of info on the mid Atlantic region....however.

Giz
gizamo
Prolific

Postby gizamo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Ok..

Not finding much info on this... so time to go the "experimental archaeology" route....:D

Giz
gizamo
Prolific

Postby Nit Wit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 am

I don't believe there was a lot of smoking going on. They did salt their food for storage especially cod and pork. Salted cod is still sold today here in Maine. Paul probably has more info on how food was preserved in Mayne.
Nit Wit
Nit Wit

Postby gizamo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Ray...

Lots of dead ends. There are references to fish and eel being smoked...also hog. Nothing comes to light as to how it was done. Salting and brining work well in the short term. Smoking aided longer term storage. I believe it was done in the 18th century Mass Bay Colony....and there is one smokehouse over in Western Mass that is on a site that dates to early 19th century.

Nothing so far...in the 18th century District of Mayne. But I am still researching.
gizamo
Prolific

Postby PAUL C. DAIUTE » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:43 am

When you do exhaustive research and fail to come up with any significant amount of information of substance, that in it self may be a message to be listened to. There is more than enough information about New England foodstuffs and cooking to last a life time for good historical interpretation. I have found over the years, that it is better to let history dictate what we interpret then to try to make history fit what we want to interpret. My philosophy, as always, is to interpret what is common and is based on good and well documented research. We each have our own purposes and that often times dictates ones approach. Keep that in mind when you read this and I will try to do the same for the reader. There are people here in Maine who collectively know about the specifics of Mayne's historical uniqueness and they are generous and ready to share their knowledge. Jeff Miller is an 18th century man who walks among us . Jeff does not take a step but one foot is always in the 17th or 18th century. Mike Dekker has a brain that should be down loaded for historical information, his most recent book on the Colonial wars should be a mandatory course for our High School students. Ken Hamilton is another incredible preceptor for us. Ken can give information world wide in scope but can be pin point accurate on local history. If you have questions about anything historical Maine, here are three examples of resource people who can answer any question that you might have about Colonial Maine or New England. These folks all network with other knowledgeable people so if they don't know the answer to your question, they can direct you to someone who can. There is no one in this forum that knows more about Maine and it's material culture then these three mentioned individuals. I would add Will West to the list as well. Think about these folks if you want relevant information to the authentic interpretation of living history here in Maine, We each must be very diserning when we take information from this forum, or from people like Mark Baker, or J. Townsend. There is a regionality to our histories that makes each colony unique and unique communities within each colony. Just food for thought.
Paul
The second amendment is not a Constitutional right but an obligation shared by all Americans!
PAUL C. DAIUTE
Prolific

Postby gizamo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:50 am

Paul...

Great commentary as always and much appreciated.

I am still researching. And in researching smoakhouses came to a fork in the road. Here in Maine smoking was done in smoking closets attached to the main chimney. If you do a search such as ....Maine Chimney "smoking closet"....you will see some results.

Example

The house, painted white, with shade trees in front of it, is in the form of an L. It may be said to have two fronts, with an entrance door and windows in the centre of each ; that upon the road-side communicating with a square hall or entry way of ample dimensions, but without a stairway. The apartment to the south shows the posts cased in the corners of the room. On the long, sloping yard-side is the halhyay proper, with an easy, old-style flight of stairs finished with scrolls and curved rail. Adjoining, there is an arched hall exit. The sunny dining room and kitchen lie beyond this hall, while following the fashion of a house of the time, two or three bed-rooms are provided on the lower floor. The great kitchen oven, smoke-closet and iron wash-kettles set in brick, yet remain intact, and each chamber in the story above has a fireplace. A long wood-shed with its front ornamented with elliptical arches fronts the yard, and also a two-storied
gizamo
Prolific

Postby Nit Wit » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Found a reprint of the first American cookbook 1796. They talk of drying eels in the sun and in a chimney for 30-40 hours. Are they done yet!
Nit Wit
Nit Wit

Postby gizamo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Nit Wit wrote:Found a reprint of the first American cookbook 1796. They talk of drying eels in the sun and in a chimney for 30-40 hours. Are they done yet!
Nit Wit

It's a interesting question. Time of year? Cold smoke? They still use this as sled dog feed in modern Alaska.

As a young man, I remember folks spearing Winter eels through the brine ice in Wellfleet on Cape Cod. The tines on those Spears look no different then those of the 18th century.
gizamo
Prolific

Return to Recipes From the Hearth