"Shoulder holster" Indian knife sheath

Eastern Woodland Indian Cultural Research & Portrayal of the 18th Century

Moderator: Jon

"Shoulder holster" Indian knife sheath

Postby Ken Hamilton » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 am

Has anyone dared to believe, make or use an Indian "shoulder holster" style knife sheath for an 18th cent. portrayal??? If so, what is your research showing, or rather, how does one know?

I have only seen these on 18th cent. Indian Dolls. Two of them (perhaps 3) show SIDE SEAM INDIAN SHEATHS, (with beaded edges) with a rather thick attached "belt". With no apparent way to un-do (tie/fasten) these like a sash or waist belt, I thought they would more likely slip over the shoulder much like a modern shoulder pistol holster. The two examples I refer to currently have these knife belts hanging on the shoulder of these dolls.

My disclaimer is that because we have 250 + years of people swapping and playing with doll ACCESSORARIES, one often never knows what we are looking at or how they were originally intended to fit. After all, for example, one can see several male/female items swapped on the opposite gender dolls.

I know that many Indian "researchers" are on facebook etc..and might likely not respond...but this can have ramifications for anyone on the frontier.

This flies in the face of the only three common options for 18th cent. knife carry........(ie. Euro belt/sash sheath, neck sheath, or dangle sheath..to which I would add a Great Lakes N. Prairie Native belt/sash sheath with FRINGE at the sheath top to keep it from sliding through).

Ken

Ken
Ken Hamilton
Prolific

Re: "Shoulder holster" Indian knife sheath

Postby LeChiot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 am

What I've done in the past with one of my scalpers is using a leather thong to attach to the strap of my shotpouch or my tomahawk case. Seems to work much better! What models are you referring to?
Ryan dit LeChiot

"And there are three kinds of brains: the one understands things on its own; the other discerns that which others understand; the third understands neither by itself nor through others." -Niccolo Machiavelli
LeChiot

Postby Ken Hamilton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello Ryan,
The Chartres Cathedral canoe model dolls (pre 1760 New France) had one of these sheaths hanging on the arm of one of the "males", and another 18th cent. "couple with cradleboard" ...which seem to be otherwise unknown to various people I showed it to, BUT definitely 18th cent.. I am pretty sure I posted it here a few years back? Anyway, I will see if I can post an image, and the Chartres image too. The unknown couple came from a generic book on "dolls", and at the time....I neglected to take note of the reference info or the book title etc.... Whoever thought one would break up with the owner of the book???? ha ha.

Ken
Ken Hamilton
Prolific

Postby LeChiot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Does Trading Identities ring a bell?
Ryan dit LeChiot

"And there are three kinds of brains: the one understands things on its own; the other discerns that which others understand; the third understands neither by itself nor through others." -Niccolo Machiavelli
LeChiot

Postby Ken Hamilton » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:45 am

Hello Ryan,
Although everyone should take note that that well known , fantastic ca. 1788 "Huron" doll set shows a SIDE SEAM belt sheath :!: .......(that's 4).............it is not the pair I was referring to.

I always found it interesting that researchers of 18th cent. Native material culture have never commented on the fact that NONE of the 18th cent. dolls wear NECK SHEATHS. What is with that?
I mean, I have some thoughts of my own, but what do I know?

Ken
Ken Hamilton
Prolific

Postby LeChiot » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:28 pm

I swear every other image I see of these model canoes... Each figure either has a piece added or subtracted or switched!
Ryan dit LeChiot

LeChiot

Return to 18th Century Native American Reenacting