Any interest in an encampment in Wytheville, VA?

18th century historical research, frontier reenacting/trekking.

Moderators: Wes, Michael Archer

Any interest in an encampment in Wytheville, VA?

Postby Spike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

It's been years since I've been here and I'm just now getting back into reenacting after a long hiatus. I know there's a few here that may remember me...

Anyway, the city of Wytheville, VA, is considering putting on a juried encampment at their pioneer village this coming October. The village consists of a few cabins, a log barn, and a log blacksmith shop (run by yours truly). There's also a creek running through the property, bathrooms on site, water, and plenty of wide open grassy area to pitch tents.

Would there be any interest in attending an event from any of y'all?

Spike
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Re: Any interest in an encampment in Wytheville, VA?

Postby Ron Clark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't know if I can attend, but would like to know more about it. What time period? When is it? Where abound Wytheville is it?
Thanks,
Ron
Ron Clark

Postby Spike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:47 pm

The time period we're shooting for is 1770-1780, which was when this area was still more or less the frontier. In 1775, Daniel Boone started the Wilderness Road at Fort Chiswell (a couple miles from present day Wytheville, VA) through the Cumberland Gap and on to the Falls of the Ohio.

Wytheville is in southwestern VA, about an hour and a half north of Charlotte, NC, and about two hours south of Charleston, WV, where I-77 and I-81 run together for a short time.

I'll post more information as things evolve. I know there's not a lot of time between now and October, but those of us pushing for this to happen have high hopes that we can get it off the ground and do it over and over in the years to come.
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Postby big mac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 am

Sounds like you have a pleasant setting only problem is picking a weekend when theres not another event too close as thats a problem. HHang in there and lots of luck.
big mac
Prolific

Postby Mike Payne » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I would be interested in an encampment just a little over 3 hours of driving for me. Not bad !

Mike
Mike Payne

Postby Ed P » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

There are a few of us from the Wilderness Road Muzzle Loading Rifle Club (located near Wythville) that might be interested, particularly if the event includes a live fire shooting match. This Oct is very short notice especially given that other events have been planned already. Current plans for our club includes a primitive shooting match on the 2nd weekend of Oct that is open to the public, so that could make our participation potentially difficult. I'm interested to see what develops.
Ed P

Postby Spike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 am

I realize that this is kind of late notice, but really, things didn't start to come together until I ran into Sonny Bishop at The Great Road Encampment and we got to talking.

I've been doing 18th century blacksmithing demonstrations at May Day in Wytheville for years, and talking off and on with city representatives about things like this all along, but never was aware that there were much in the way or 18th century reenactors in this area until I ran across a sign for the Great Road Encampment.

Because of my work for the city, I have contacts in city government there--the people who are in charge of getting things like this to happen, and they are excited about the possibilities. There's still some work to do as far as getting what site we can use locked down, but once that's done, the rest should follow pretty quickly. If we can get much of anything in the way of participation this year, we should be able to get things going for next year, and have the whole year to get things arranged better and advertised earlier so that reenactors can make plans on what events in the area to attend.

As far as live fire, that's not likely, as the prime site for this event is inside city limits on city property behind the visitor's center. Access to that site is still a bit up in the air, but there are other city-owned sites we could use, and the three city employees who are in charge of this sort of thing indicated that they are working hard to make it happen.

Too, just so people have an idea of what all else is going on in Wytheville, the city is building a combination 18th C blacksmith/gunsmith shop that will be as period-correct as modern regulations will allow for, and it will be a working shop. The building plans are done, the property has been selected, I'm pretty sure that construction will start some time this fall.
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Postby Spike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:42 am

Just in, cut/pasted from an email Sonny and I rec'd while I was writing my previous post:

----------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,

The 2nd week of October is a go!

We will know the location this Tuesday but we would like if you guys could to talk to the sutlers/merchants/demonstrators and reenactors about coming that weekend. We do have some questions about a few things and they are listed:
1) How much firewood?
2) How much water is needed for demonstrations?
3) Is anyone expecting payment to show up?
4)How many demonstrators?
5) Do you have a sample registration sheet?
6) Do you have a sample release liability form?
7)Will anybody want to stay till Sunday?
8) Friday event for school children?
9) How many will be camping the whole weekend?

I believe that is it, if you guys don't mind spreading the word we would greatly appreciate it. We look forward to seeing what we can come up with and maybe this can grow to a reenactment of signing the Fincastle Resolutions or a Patriot/Tory skirmish for control of the lead mines?

Michael Gillman
Curatorial/Education Assistant
Town of Wytheville
Department of Museums
---------------------------------------------------------

Now, I guess, Sonny and I have our work cut out for us!
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:03 pm

The Wytheville Encampment is now a 3 day event, with early setup on Thursday. It's being held at the Umberger/Jackson Homestead Museum, behind the visitor's center in Wytheville, VA.

If you'd rather wait to show up until Friday afternoon to set up, that's fine, no problems there.

Friday is a demonstration day, with 29 school classes coming through to see demonstrations of various skills. I'll be running the forge, and there'll be a hornmaker, as well as other demonstrators. We may even have a gunsmith on hand, as well.

I have a registration form available that I can email for anybody who is interested in attending. Get with me via PM or email and I'll send it to you.
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Postby Ed P » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:22 pm

I would like to see this succeed and become an annual event. Chances of making that happen would be much improved with some coordination with the local ML club.
Ed P

Postby Spike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am

Ed P wrote:I would like to see this succeed and become an annual event. Chances of making that happen would be much improved with some coordination with the local ML club.

Yesterday I sent you an email with further information about the encampment and attached the sign up sheet we developed. It may have wound up in your junk folder since I sent it from my work email address, so be sure to check it as well. I want to coordinate with your club--the more attendees we get, the better chance we have of getting a good encampment off the ground and making it an annual event like you said.
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Postby Michael Clemons » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

Jim Hartledge is the president of the local muzzleloading club in Wytheville.
Michael Clemons

Postby Spike » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Michael Clemons wrote:Jim Hartledge is the president of the local muzzleloading club in Wytheville.

Sent you an email through the system here, hopefully you got it. If not, check your spam folder, I sent it from my work email address. Thanks!
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Postby Michael Clemons » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Spike,, you might have to use my new email.......... michaelwclemons@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Michael Clemons

Postby Spike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 am

Michael Clemons wrote:Spike,, you might have to use my new email.......... michaelwclemons@yahoo.com.

Thanks

OK, just sent it to the new address. Thanks!
Spike

----------------------
Runs with Scissors
----------------------
Spike

Next

Return to 18th Century Frontier Trekking/Reenacting