French boarding axe TRY NOW... new links

18th century historical research, frontier reenacting/trekking.

Moderators: Wes, Michael Archer

French boarding axe TRY NOW... new links

Postby Ken Hamilton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Hello,
Just finished forging up this 1690's "pattern" French Boarding axe. Been wanting to make one for some time. It has (according to the French documents) a 9 pouces 2 lignes long head and a 2 pied 3 pouce handle. Handle was from a Sweedish axe handle from libertytreecollectors.com...so it is a good hunk of Euro hardwood! I tried to conform to every aspect of the original, of which there were many models over 150 years.
I have seen OTHER versions of these...but they were pretty "generic". This one has a rectangular eye in order to take the "langette" straps.

This is a great addition to our 1690's French sailor's camp at Pemaquid next month. This is where the French war ships under D'Iberville unloaded military provisions and Native gifts for the attack at that English fort in 1696. Will likely make a boarding pike or two next?

Fun stuff,
Ken
http://s950.photobucket.com/user/pawaga ... sort=3&o=0
http://s950.photobucket.com/user/pawaga ... sort=3&o=1
Last edited by Ken Hamilton on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Hamilton
Prolific

Re: French boarding axe

Postby Bob Miller » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 am

Sorry...no photos show up. Just a notice that you need to renew your account to allow for 3rd party hosting. Looks like you'll need to decide if it's worth the $400.00 bucks they are asking :shock: :(
Bob Miller
Prolific

Postby snapper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 am

Ken - As Bob already noted...no photos on my end either. Can't wait to see the new boarding axe when we gather the end of the month.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper
Prolific

Postby Ken Hamilton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 am

Cursed technology. Can fix (or make) many things with a hammer.....but electric and cyber stuff just sometimes gets in the way. LOL

Ken
Ken Hamilton
Prolific

Postby Bob Miller » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Actually, the technology worked fine for a while. You and others have posted photos with great success over the years. What we have to contend with now is greed . :(
Bob Miller
Prolific

Postby Shaun » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Apparently this whole Photobucket thing has the internet a buzz. Some folks have started a petition to reverse the decision to charge for the use of their site. A quick search revealed some free alternative image hosting sites, but I have no experience with any of these sites and can't recommend one over the other
Shaun

Re: French boarding axe TRY NOW... new links

Postby snapper » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:42 am

Ken - If you posted the images again, all that comes up is a box that says you need to update your account. It looks a lot more official now but it still doesn't show anything. Sorry...

Until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper
Prolific

Postby Ken Hamilton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:48 am

well. I tried something different.

I also "unlocked" my photobucket photos...(I think?) which are mostly just historical pics anyway. Y'all might enjoy them. Pure advertisement anyway :mrgreen:
Ken Hamilton
Prolific

Postby PAUL C. DAIUTE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:40 am

Ken,
As always I look forward to seeing your display and listening to what you have to say. Your constant evolution and improvements are wonderful. I look forwar to seeing the barding axe and pike. I do like the edged weapons used in Naval warfare.
Paul (Israel Cod'r)
The second amendment is not a Constitutional right but an obligation shared by all Americans!
PAUL C. DAIUTE
Prolific

Postby qcpidoc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 pm

It's now $399.99 a year to use photobucket to post photos to sites like this and many others. yep, that"s $400 to be Plus 500 member to get the right to post. Guess we're all going to find another hosting service.
qcpidoc
Prolific

Return to 18th Century Frontier Trekking/Reenacting